Take a Closer Look

hearthsidefoods.com
I had a profound experience recently. Two people I thought I knew turned out to be completely different from how I viewed them. I had always seen these two from a distance, not on screen, within the same hall, but from a distance all the same. With the space between us, what my brain registered about them, though not completely false, was not the true picture. So, I got a much closer look and I would not have recognized these two if I met them outside ‘our’ space. 

How many times have you told yourself you cannot tackle an issue? Or seen a challenge as huge and large and insurmountable? How many times have you misjudged someone? (Like you should even judge at all). How many ventures have you put off just by viewing them from a distance and concluding you could not execute such? How many opportunities have you allowed to slip past you? How many relationships have you given up on?

Just get closer. Move closer to that person. You could find out that the seemingly unfriendly look you thought they had is due to a recent tooth extraction that has left them with an aching gum, hampering their ability to smile. You could discover that the man who always keeps quiet and withdraws from the crowd was abused from childhood into his late teenage years, leaving him with a deep distrust for people. You could find that the venture that looked like it would cost a fortune needs just what you have. You could discover that the mountain you thought was ahead had all the while been a mirage. The perspective you had earlier might be totally faulty. 

But, you won’t know. Till you take steps closer.  

Comments

Popular Posts