Discovery; Supreme One Soul Nation

I walked in on them, displaying a choreographed dance. They caught my attention. I asked them to move out of the corner they were to dance more openly. They shyly said no. That was it, I forgot about them.

There was a program I attended last week. That is a post for some other time. It was a gathering of young children, the future of the nation. I have been a part of the lives of some of the children and was absolutely delighted to see the changes in their lives. They were completely different from the set of children I met at the beginning of their scheme.


The program ended, and as I walked past another set of gathered young people, I heard "We will be here to perform next year ma". That caught my attention. I stopped. These were the same young men I had seen dancing earlier. I engaged them. 

A melting pot of six young men. From the little time I spent with them, they are all different. They call themselves the Supreme One Soul Nation. A boy band of rappers, composers, singers and dancers.



Being a keen lover of the younger generation, I got interested in their story. They are all graduates of Baptist Secondary School, Oke Ado, Ibadan, Nigeria. The band was formed two years ago, before they left the secondary school. I asked if university education was on the horizon for them and they all chorused yes. That gladdened my heart. Despite their love for this performing art, and their individual skills, a university education is still necessary and I was glad I didn't have to preach this. They already have a plan and are working towards it. 

Korede was quite vocal. He didn't come across as the shy type. He says apart from being part of this group, he's also into computer graphics and has been practising this skill.

Kayode is also a computer graphic artist. Timileyin, the young man that made me stop in my tracks, is the dancer of the group and this he intends to take to a professional level. Are there professional choreographers/dancers out there willing to take on this young man?

Mayowa looked at my shoes, a pair of Italian high heeled sandals, and confidently declared to me "I can make what you're wearing". He makes footware and further surprised me when he said he could match them with handbags. I look forward to seeing his works. Ladies and gentlemen in Nigeria, this is a youngman who can provide you shoes, bags and all inbetween, for less. His confidence won me over. International clients, hold on a little, Mayowa will soon start shipping internationally.

Seun is a P.O.P technician. This was probably the biggest reveal of the skills. I have never met someone so young involved in P.O.P work. So, you need someone to give your P.O.P ceilings and walls contract to? Seun is your man!

Adewale was the most quiet one of the group. I took special interest in him because he hid his face behind the beak of his face cap and was not talking. I smelled an act there. He didn't look to me like the quiet type. Eventually, he spoke! He's the leader of the group. Apart from coordinating his colleagues, he's also a clothier. He's the young man in black t-shirt, which he made! Like Mayowa, he confidently told me he could make what I was wearing (an African print long gown). I was impressed.



I saw passion, determination, vision and mission bundled in these young men. When they started talking, they left me almost out of breathe. They need polishing, yes. Their operative group name needs to be reviewed for national and international positioning, yes. I saw a little of their dance routine, beautiful. They told me some of their songs already enjoy airplay on a radio station in Ibadan, Nigeria. I hope to feature some their compositions soon and their individual works.

So, I present to you these six talented, enterprising, fun, energetic young men. Look out for them world, these guys will be huge!

Comments

Popular Posts