Musing; The Wedding Party

I’m a sucker for good acting, a deep art enthusiast, art in all forms. When I saw the trailer, I mentally bookmarked watching the movie once it hits the cinemas. I almost could not wait. One thing that takes away from movies for me, is the realization that it’s make believe, having been in that circle and knowing a little something about films, special effects, writing stories and all, I generally watch a movie with the eye of a critic. The picture quality in the trailer, the cast and costumes all grabbed my attention at the core. I knew I would see this movie. Lo! The day came and there I was, seated in the cinema, my popcorn and soda ready for the ride. 




If you haven’t watched ELFIKE’s The Wedding Party yet, this is no spoiler, but you really need to go see it. This is me sharing with you the reflections I came out of the cinema with.

In my side of the world, the woman is often told, scratch that, ALWAYS told to fight for her marriage, fight for her man. I’ve had to ask a number of times why she must always be the one wearing the gloves. Plus, who is she fighting sef? The man? Other ladies? His family? Friends? Why can’t the man fight whoever the woman is asked to fight also? Or once a woman gets married, she suddenly is dead to the world? Other men don’t notice her? She doesn’t notice other men? What or who, decided that the courtship period is the only time she should be fought for? One thing that jumped at me was Felix Onwuka asking his son, Dozie, to fight for his marriage, his woman, no matter what. From a man to another? It was a wow moment for me. I didn’t see that coming, as an expressed African opinion in the near future. How I wanted to hug Frank through the screen! It’s manly advice like that a new home should be built on, not telling the man his wife is a half-cured lunatic, of all the hianness!

From personal experience, I know that there are times the woman gets tired of being the one wearing the gloves, she wants her man to come for her, to put in some effort. But, ego usually says no. She gets tired, gives up and Humpty Dumpty falls off the wall. Oh, and Dozie did fight; a man after my heart (biko, not the person that played the character o).



The day mother-in-law and daughter-in-law war ends, then, we have achieved world peace. I’m just saying. The rate at which these two women in a man’s life go for each other’s jugular, one would think they are vampires, thirsty for blood. Bourgeoi Madame Oby Onwuka didn’t like her daughter-in-law, Dunni, and never hid it. She just was stone cold towards her, yet Dunni never once showed any disrespect towards her. She remained a sweet girl, even in the face of public humiliation. Hmn, ladies, if that were you . . .

From the title, it’s so obvious what the movie is about. It’s love, love and much more love. When love is real, when love is hurt, when love is shaky, when love is tested, when love is tempted, when love makes a decision to stay despite bankruptcy, when love grows cold, when love is re-ignited, all these phases of love I saw. And my take away? If both parties are truly interested in making it work, it will, no matter how many “Small Chops” come between or discovery of thong in the breast pocket. When two people are really in love, for the right reasons, they fight for each other, believe in each other despite how bad it may look, have the other’s back in the face of trials, stand up for each other even in the face of a gun, hold on to themselves and walk the tightrope looking out for the other. These, because they truly truly love, not for material gain but just because. 



Oh! And that thing called ego? It takes a really mature and introspective person to subdue it, admit they’ve been wrong and take responsibility for their wrong. It takes a man who truly understands what leading his family is all about, what being a protector is, to go after his woman, admit his wrongs and seek forgiveness. And it takes a woman who has made up her mind on who she truly wants, to ditch popular opinion, to trust, despite a very graphic description of a sizzling ‘tumble-in-the-hay’ minutes before her wedding staring her in the face, and still hold on to her man, tightly, even if she does it in tears. 

Love is a conscious decision. Love is acceptance of the individual, baggage and all. Sometimes it doesn’t even make sense. Sometimes, it can’t be explained, and how I love the unexplainable love! "I love you". Plain, simple. Not because of this or that, just because I can’t explain but I know that deep inside of me, it’s you first, last and halfway. It won’t always be a roll in perfumed silk sheets, but I choose to also go through the stinky patches with you.  

And for those parents that compare their kids and have favorites amongst them, those parents that always have a ‘role model’ to point their kid to, to be like so, so or so, you need to take a leave off your awful parenting and deeply reflect. Each child of yours will definitely not be like the other, afterall, they aren’t photocopies. Each is unique in their way, appreciate that and treat each as an individual that they are. If your kids had to make parent comparisons too, okay, let’s just leave it there.

Kemi Adetiba drew tears from my eyes – from laughing so hard, to actually crying. Who wouldn’t drop a tear at the beach scene? Alright, I know some of you won’t, but for most, it would be a struggle. I dropped more than a tear, or two. And, Banky and Adesua, the chemistry between you both is bae! From the moment those two appeared together, it was like they truly are a couple. All that lip locking sha, you be making a girl feel jealous in the cinema! 



My star of the day was Aunty Sola Sobowale. That aunty can act to save an entire nation, choi! Those mother of the bride dance steps made me proud to be a Yoruba girl. That’s it, I really should stop here. This isn’t a critique, nor a review, and I promised it won’t be a spoiler either. I’ll watch this movie again and again and once more. 



Thumbs up to the writer for packing such profound messages together in one script. To the cast and crew, bien hecho!

See the trailer here.



Images: Google

Comments

  1. Fiyinfolu! You're such an excellent writer. Keep it up, more power to your elbow. I'm gonna ensure I watch the movie. Your account of it is so captivating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the reviews I have 'read'/heard about The Wedding Party have been positive! How do people in the abroad get to watch it though? #jealousmuch

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts