Musing; I Love My In-laws

So, I know it isn't always that you get to hear things like this. Infact, the norm is more like bickerings, fightings, silent wars, cold stares, backbiting, attitude . . . you know the rest. 

I used to say that I desired in-laws who would be like my blood relatives - brothers, sisters, parents, uncles and the like. Oh yes, I still desire that. My first reaction when I saw this picture, was a laugh. I thought "how many women will wear this?" My second reaction was deep wonder - "why do women, especially, have in-law horrors?"


This is not peculiar to Africans, as some may erroneously believe, it's a global phenomenon. Cultures and traditions across the globe just make handling it different. While a wife in the developed world can (and would, if she has to) walk her mother-in-law out of her house, it is taboo in the developing world. Infact, that action will take place in reverse. 

Now, my main question is this. "When will women stop being each other's enemies?" Not commonly do we get reports of male-in-laws being a pain in the neck, except when it comes to inheritance and properties issues, but it's a common song on the lips of many wives, to have complaints about female-in-laws. 

I'm a sister-in-law, and I cannot fathom making like unbearable for my sisters-in-law. I see them as my biological sisters. If for some reason, we do not agree on certain issues, the way out would not be through quarrels and fights. I'd ask myself "what if she were my blood sister and she did this, would I remove her front teeth?"  


Can we discuss this? Or is it taboo? Why is it so difficult for mothers, especially, to let go of their sons? Why do they become rivals to their daughters-in-law? Why do sisters-in-law pick on their brother's wives? Why can't women generally, genuinely, get along very well? I believe we should look out for each other. We typically have the same experiences and know how it feels, it just makes sense that we should be empathetic towards each other. We should love each other. But we're doing the exact opposite of that! 

I know there's always an exception. There are wonderful women who have the backs of their sisters. Big kudos to these women. You're indeed worthy of emulation. There are also males-in-law, who put women married into their families through hell. Now, pray tell, why do you do it?

Images: Google

Comments

Popular Posts