What Is Man?

I got the shocking news of the death of a junior of mine, back in high school. Now, I had become “immune” to the news of death when within a year, three people I knew quite closely passed away. But, this one shook me. I went through the day in a maze. Why this news numbed me this way, I can’t explain.



It got me thinking, again, however, about life and the time each of us has. There’s so much we can complain about – I could spend days listing what is not right with me at the moment – but there’s also so much to be grateful. Infact, much more to be grateful for than to complain about. I cast my mind back now to several times I should have died, several reasons I should have been forgotten today, some people did not go through a quarter of what I’ve experienced, and they are no more today. Likewise, there are people out there who should not be alive today, but they are. I used to watch a program – I Shouldn’t Be Alive – and seeing the situations some folks passed through, I’m so much more grateful.

Stop for a minute, just pause and ask yourself, “what am I alive for?” When you answer that question, you should see reasons you need to get off that pity couch and start living. Some lives depend on you. Some destinies are hinged on you fulfilling yours. Yes, I know it’s much more convenient to complain and whine and cuss, but at the end of all that, what is achieved? Think of how many people you would have put a smile on their faces if you would just live according to your purpose. What would have been achieved?

I may not have all I want, or even need, right now. I may not be as comfortable as I want. My dream may still be a dream. But I have been given the gift of another day. Am I using it well or squandering it? Think on this.

Comments

Popular Posts