~ Book Of The Week ~ GIFTS - ROSES AND BRUISES


Author, Mary Akangbe takes readers behind the scenes of middle class domesticity, in her brand new book, delivering this searing report on domestic violence as an entrenched control system that victimises women.

"In Gifts - Roses and Bruises, I share my personal, painful journey that is about love, betrayal, domestic abuse and violence."


"Readers, until they fully read and understand this book, could not have imagined the emotional and sometimes physical abuse I had been subjected to as I would try my best to do a day’s work or join in a social outing. I met my soon-to-be husband in church and for a while everything seemed like a match made in heaven. The abuse then started with a slap while I was pregnant, and Bill made perfect excuses as to why I deserved such abuse and violence."

Bill, being the husband used his role as ”head of the family” to fend off any accusations of abuse. As a registered nurse with years of experience, one would probably think I should have known better, but that is what abuse and violence do to its victims – we lose all sense of rationale. The intensity of the violence escalated and lasted for quite some time before I decided to do something about it.

Story of personal abuse and domestic violence,
Gifts - Roses and Bruises is more than just an account of my journey in an abusive and controlling relationship – it is also the story of my struggle with the religious and cultural implications, the public perception of domestic abuse and violence. 

One instance of misjudgement can and does turn life upside down. People though, have natural qualities with which to solve a problem such as this, and Gifts - Roses and Bruises shows how I have plenty of them and the reader gets a chance to see how I used them rationally.

This is my journey of survival towards a life free from violence."



Mary Akangbe is also the CEO/Founder of Glowing Future - supporting victims and empowering survivors of domestic abuse. A registered nurse with years of successful and brilliant practice and a mum.

Comments

Popular Posts