CONVERSATIONS IN MY HEAD - DIARY NINE

I was flipping through the wedding pictures, Ara lying beside me, his head supported on his palm. He was asking questions to annoy me. We both knew what he was doing, so I ignored. There was this smirk on his face. I paused on a page. The bride was all smiles, the groom's face was glowing. 
"Where do all these go?" I asked.
"Huh?" Ara scrunched up his face. 
"See how happy they look?"
"Of course, they would be happy, it's their wedding day, duh. The day everyone dreams about."


"So, if it is so anticipated, why do things go askew some months after the ceremony? Sometimes, just weeks or days after, serious issues begin to crop up. What happened?"

Ara sighed and stood up. He walked over to the window, stared out at nothing in particular, then he turned around and folded his arms across his chest. He had this serious look on his face.
"That's a question I've always wondered about. It looks to me like some people treat love like a switch. This minute it's one, the next, it's switched off."
"Is it that easy to fall in and out of love? I've been in love before and it was not a process I could walk in and out of."

Ara's eyes lit up. He jumped back on the bed like a little girl and said "tell me, who was it?"
I scrunched my eyebrows and replied "did I say it was one person?"
"Wow! Gets more interesting. So you've had love to share around?"
I smacked him lightly on the leg and lay back on my pillow. Memories flooded my head. 
"I've deeply loved on three before, at different times. One broke down terribly, affecting me seriously. And the times I had to leave behind these 'loves', for different legitimate reasons, it was difficult."
"So you're a veteran!" Ara was enjoying poking fun at me.
"You could say that. I still bear a scar from one of them. Don't ask me how that came to be."
"Seriously? Were you beaten? Injured?"
"There was no domestic violence. It was emotional trauma turned medical . . . I thought I told you not to ask!"
Ara winked, "I have my ways".
"That's why it baffles me when I see people who were in love, so much that they were practically breathing for each other, become such sworn enemies they can't stand each other anymore."
"Do we blame the economy? Friends? Families? Side chics? Personality flaws? Hasty decision making? What or who do we blame?"
"Really, at this point, I don't have any answers. It is these answers, I, just like you, seek."


Comments

Popular Posts