Escapade

It was a clear summer afternoon, I got back from school in the company of my friend, Akanni. On our way home from school, we had decided to visit Mr Aribisala's compound to appropriate some almonds later that afternoon. For me, it's the succulent, innermost substance [commonly called "epa" among children] hidden away by the hard husky covering that makes a daring trip to the dreaded Mr Aribisala's compound inevitable.



At about 4 o'clock, I set out for Mr Aribisala's compound in the company of Akanni, who is a little on the bulky side compared to my frame. On arriving at the Aribisala's compound, we scanned the compound for the Old Man's Benz 230 [regular]; we were pleased to notice the absence of the vehicle - Mr Aribisala was not home and he must have likely headed out in the company of his amiable wife - Mama Asabi. Luck appeared to be even more on our side as the old man had relieved his gate-man of security duty about 2 weeks prior to our would-be unfortunate visit to the property in question.


It's unusual for the property's gate be left open, even when the gate-man kept watch, and rather than think creatively, our thought went something like "O happy day to indulge our palates with some free almond fruit"!! Akanni and I gently opened the smaller gate, and sneaked into the huge compound - we made our way to the most robust of the almond trees in the compound.

On previous occasions as this that required climbing, Akanni had always assign the climbing duty to me; however, on this fateful day, Akanni offered to go grab the ripe almonds on the tree while I wait below to catch the almonds thrown down from the appreciably tall tree. Akanni had barely climbed 6 feet up the almond tree when I heard a bang through Mr Aribisala's house, the next second, a rottweiler was fiercely barreling towards me [a night before, I had spoken with a senior friend about dogs and he confirmed to me a rottweiler is a breed of dog gotten partly from lions]. I knew I was in danger. Instinctively, I reached top speed within 3 seconds of my inevitable race for survival [I was suppose to be my brother's keeper, but Akanni was better kept, 6 feet above the ground on the almond tree than I was on the ground], so Akanni was far from my thoughts while I ran for my dear life.



At the sight of the rottweiler, I needed no encouragement to cover the 50 meter dash to the nearest fence in under 6 seconds. If the world athletic governing body had seen my dash, perhaps I would have been invited for a trial towards the next Olympics, but I don't even think Akanni noticed my flash of athletic prowess. I was about 5 feet away from the tall fence when I noticed the canine creature at my heels - without any thought, I leapt instantly for the high wall. Luck was kind to me as my fingers gripped well on the wall; I quickly swung up my right leg to the level of my up-hanging arm tips and rolled over to the other side of the fence.

I did not set my eyes on Akanni until the next morning. Akanni had lingered on the Almond tree until Mr Aribisala returned late at night - he called out to Mr Aribisala to kindly rescue him as he confessed our escapade to the old man. Luckily for me, the old man never cared about Akanni's accomplice. My friend was pulled home by his rabbit-like ears by Mr Aribisala that night, he was handed over to his mother who latter revealed the unpleasant side of the slender cane to Akanni that night before he was ordered to bed.
I took a greater risk that evening, but thankfully it paid off - my parent never learned about my escapade.



Oluwaseyi Bolarinwa wrote in from Florida. In his words: "Some of my friends perceive me as an anomaly. If you care to know my opinion of myself: I am a playful, happy boy who likes to make others smile." He has a comic style of writing, adding humour to even the most serious topics.

Comments

Popular Posts