#ThankATeacher


The world celebrates teachers today. And that's an appreciation that is well worth it. At one point or the other, each of us has had cause to pass through a teacher, either formally or informally. Despite the lack of respect and honour for this set of unsung heros, in some parts of the world, they deserve the appreciation. I appreciate deeply, everyone who has occupied the position of a teacher in my life. Some, I cannot but thank specially.
Mrs. Kofoworola Kuyinu


My beautiful Literature-in-English teacher at the International School, Ibadan (ISI). She polished the raw literature gem in me. My love for reading soared. Appreciating literature was properly explained and ingrained in me. Thank you so much ma! 

Dr. Olusola Laosebikan
I searched but couldn't find a picture. Back then in ISI, when he came on board as our Government teacher, he had a big shoe to fill, considering he was taking over from a very good teacher - Mr. Jadesola Ogunbanjo (whose handling of government history was top notch). But, he overcame the 'tests' of us students and quickly rose to become not only a teacher, but a friend to many of us. He made me appreciate government/governance & the simplification of economics, a subject he also taught. I couldn't leave this till "lateron" (only ex ISI students that passed through him would appreciate this) lol.

Mr. Inosekhian Osose


Though I didn't follow my Fine Arts dream, I cannot forget Mr Osose, my Arts teacher at ISI. The assignments, explanation of light source, shadowing, perspective, all stuck with me till date. And on a daily basis, I make use of these. I have pictures I took that look like works of a professional, simply because of these lessons. He was also the coordinator of the school fellowship, caring not just for the educational needs of his students, but also the spiritual. Thank you sir!

Mrs. Oladokun
I may not remember so much about my time in the classroom this woman, apart from her smiling face and her cute small afro hairstyle, but I remember she was my nursery class teacher at Staff School, U.I. My baptism into primary school, infact, schooling, was smooth because of you. I'm grateful you didn't make me hate school.

Mr. Felix Ikwuemesibe


I write as well as I do today because his red ink was generously administered on my notebook pages. It is paying off! I remember he was not a favorite among the students, but I guess those that were not so fond of him were those who had no care for the literary world or the art of beautiful writing. I'm so glad I paid attention in his classes. When I was to go for my second degree, he was one of my referees. I'm grateful sir.

Prof. 'Lade Adeyanju


As an undergraduate student of his at Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife, my creativity could not but be tasked in his classroom. He had a way of asking questions that made one think outside the box. I remember a number of times our classes ended on a question mark. He was not the kind of teacher that tells you all, you just had to reason on your own and come up with a full stop for the question mark or remain on that spot. Today, I question some status quo, not because I'm a rebel, but because Prof Adeyanju taught me to ask further, task the 'as-it-has-been' mentality. And, yes, I write my name with a hyphen, when I'm not writing it in full. Guess where I learnt that.

Mom  


Not for want of what to say, but because, sometimes a summary just says it better. This is for my first teacher, for life lessons that can't be quantified, I'm grateful.

Dad


Beyond what I could ever learn in classrooms, you've taught me living, giving, integrity dedication. Oh! One more thing, I got my love for volumes from you. I'm a blessed girl.

Grandpa


"Don't fear maths. A human being created the problem, solve it". I remember Pa. E.A. Ajayi telling me this when I was in the secondary school. Though I wasn't a fan of mathematics, i knew I could always do it if I set my mind to it. For instilling confidence in me, I'm forever grateful. 

It's late on this side of the world, yes. But I just had to do this today. The investment of these and many more, I do not take for granted. I'm deeply appreciative.
 

Comments

Popular Posts